New Year’s resolutions are easy to make and often abandoned. So what can we do to make this year better? Promises that involve a change to the daily decisions we make can be difficult to maintain throughout the rest of the 364 days left. Every year, a list of healthy goals compete for the top spot on America's list of resolutions. Let’s shoot for more than leaving ourselves discouraged and pessimistic once our well-intentioned goals fade.
The issues are a lot of these healthy resolutions are too big to accomplish in the short amount of time desired, and we fail to do this as a family. If we are going to live a healthier life then our family will be affected as well. We need to support each other and encourage one another. This year, try to aim for specific, small goals with the buy-in of your kids and partner. Get together and each of you make a board with your 2019 health goals. One step at a time gets us to where we want to be.
Here is a list of 15 healthy possible starting points to help everyone get to their version of wellness.
- Make time to self-care. Morning and evening stretches are a good starting point.
- Eat food that nourishes the body, the Earth offers a lot more nutrients than a box does. As a family take a cooking class or watch on YouTube.
- Drink a large glass of water when you wake up to jump-start the body for the day ahead.
- Go outside for at least 15 minutes a day. Garden, walk, swim, run, bike as a family. Garden soil has bacteria that is good for you.
- Be present in the moment. Set timers on how long you’re allowed to be on social media.
- Obtain new perspectives. Travel, read a self-help book, listen and sympathize more.
- Aim for eight hours of sleep every night. Move your bedtime out in 30 minutes increments to get to eight.
- Take healthy snacks with you throughout the day. Make the snack as a family so you skip impulsive eating.
- Cut out stress by finding a destresser - whether it be working out or reading a good book.
- Save money. Eating in. Having a garden. Biking to the store.
- Start the day with a little meditation session to relax the mind for a productive day.
- Drink more herbal and white tea. White tea has more antioxidants than green. Replace your typical cup of coffee or soda with a natural energizer.
- Create a motivational playlist filled with songs and podcast that inspire and motivate you.
- Start journaling - pick up that old diary or get a fresh journal to jot down ideas and anything else that comes to mind. You’ll thank yourself later.
- Focus on your breathing when you feel stressed - this increases the supply of oxygen to your brain and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of calmness.
Once you have your board with everyone’s goals then meet regularly to motivate and hold each other accountable. Implement these easy, healthy resolutions into your routine and watch how the positive effects add up.
Happy New Year!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published